If you were wondering why I didn’t post my second zucchini cake on Thursday, I’m super sorry. I hurt my back somehow, and really couldn’t bear to type or use the mouse. 🙁 But… I’m here and I’m typing today! And, I’ve got another great recipe from my mom. Chocolate zucchini cake. For those of you who just couldn’t be bothered to mix up an icing or frosting, this is the cake for you!
Chocolate zucchini cake is super fast to mix up and throw in the oven for a quick treat or when company is coming. A handful of chocolate chips make a sweet treat even sweeter!
My oldest daughter, Abby, whipped this cake up for friends last Friday, and we all enjoyed it with a nice cup of tea. One thing I would recommend when baking it, is to not over-bake it. It tends to dry out quickly if over-baked. I would start with a timer at 25 minutes, and check it every few minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
This photo was taken at our friends’ house. Their backyard is facing a beautiful lake here in Texas, and they have a great view from their dining room. Speaking of friends. We are really going to miss the friends we’ve made here. Our plans to move to Alberta are still in place, and the timeframe for moving is this September/October.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1¾ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour milk (add 1 T vinegar to ½ cup of milk) can also use buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well.
- Add oil, sour milk or buttermilk, vanilla, and grated zucchini. Mix well.
- Combine in a separate bowl, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients together, and mix well.
- Grease a 9×13 pan, and pour batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of chocolate chips onto cake, and place in hot oven.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, checking often. When a toothpick comes out clean, take it out.
- Let cool, or eat it warm. Enjoy!
I forgot to let you know that there is just a hint of cinnamon in this chocolate cake, which I love! It almost tastes like Mexican chocolate. Delicious!
Well, I hope you enjoy this recipe. I remember eating it when I was a kid, and really liking the chocolate chips on top! Of course. Haha. I’ll never say no to chocolate anything. Have fun trying out this chocolate zucchini cake recipe from my mom! Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day.
Pin it for Later!
Want my FREE ebook, “5 of my Best Recipes”?