I have to say that these ginger snap cookies definitely live up to their name! With a decent amount of spice, a good chew, and a little surprise (candied ginger) in almost every bite, wowzers!
This post may contain affiliate links where I could make a small amount without extra cost to you. See my disclosure here.
Have you ever had a ginger snap cookie that wasn’t gingery enough? You will not feel that way when you try these. My goodness, the ginger in these cookies comes at the end of your bite- you will not be disappointed! Freckled with bits of candied ginger, they will not leave you wondering if you can change up the recipe. Perfection.
These ginger snap cookies are crusted with turbinado sugar, giving a lovely crunch and definitely looking delicious on the plate.
My friend, Lori, gave me this recipe. Lori’s made these cookies for me in the past few years, and I keep forgetting to ask for the recipe. Not this time! I’m so pleased to share it with you all- it is the best ginger snap I’ve ever made!
There is one thing I need to warn you about this recipe, though. Planning ahead a little is necessary. As the dough needs to chill thoroughly, you’ll need to make it up about 2 hours before you want to bake it. Or overnight. Whichever is most convenient. That’s it. The rest is easy-peasy.
Oh, yeah. The recipe says to keep the cookies in a cookie jar if you like them chewy, and in a sealed container for a crisper cookie. Little tip, there.
Ginger Snap Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1¼ cups crystallized ginger chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ cup turbinado sugar for rolling unbaked cookies in
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, molasses, spices and candied ginger.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine. Add the other half of the the flour mixture and stir well.
- Form dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Form dough into small (1.5") balls, and roll them in turbinado sugar.
- Place on pan, and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Let sit in pan for a minute or two before removing to a cooling rack.
Enjoy your ginger snap cookies with a cold glass of milk, or a cup of tea! Thanks for stopping by!
Pin it for Later!
Want my FREE ebook, “5 of my Best Recipes”?