This habanero carrot hot sauce will add a punch to almost any meal! Having its origin in Belize, proves it is worthy of its south of the border reputation for heat. Full of veggies, garlic and spicy habaneros, you won’t want to miss out on trying this recipe.
I am an Amazon affiliate. This means that I make a small commission on any purchase you may make through a link you click on my website. This, of course, is at no extra cost to you.
My family has been loving Marie Sharp’s hot sauce for ages. It has a distinct flavour, and adds tonnes of goodness to many a meal. The only problem with living here in Canada, is that our local grocery store doesn’t carry our beloved Marie Sharp’s! With the amount of hot sauce our family consumes, I found it a bit pricey to order it online, soooo….. I decided to find a recipe that came close to the taste we’ve grown to love.
Hot sauce is on our table at almost every meal.
This recipe caught my eye on Food.com. I’ve made it a number of times, tweaking the method and ingredients to suit my family’s taste. Especially my husband’s! About two years ago, Isaac lost his sense of smell and taste. There are only a few things he can enjoy like he did before losing those senses. One of them is hot sauce, so I set out to basically make him happy.
Watch on YouTube!
When I make this habanero carrot hot sauce, I usually double the recipe. It doubles well, and fits perfectly in my Ninja blender. I love that blender. It has been the best blender I’ve owned! This thing can handle anything like a champ! I did want a Vitamix for the longest time, but it is basically 4 times the price, so that wasn’t happening. If you are in the market for a new blender, I suggest the Ninja. Anyway. I’m sure you’re here for the RECIPE, not to hear me blab about blenders. Haha.
How to make habanero carrot hot sauce:
- First, you need gloves. If you are handling habanero peppers, you do not want to do this bare-handed! Let me tell you. I’ve burned my hands on just jalapeno peppers in the past. Never again. Some of you reading this know all about pepper burns, don’t you?
- You will need: 10 habanero peppers, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, I cup of chopped carrots, 2 cups of water, 3 T lime juice – I use bottled, 3 T white vinegar and 1 t of salt.
- So, the peppers. Cut each one in half and remove the seeds. When I make this for Isaac, I leave the seeds in. This makes the sauce hotter- the way he loves it.
- Chop 1 cup of carrots and add to the water along with a chopped onion. Simmer this until the vegetables are tender. Let cool – I always make the mistake of blending everything hot…not good.
- Place your peppers, carrot/onion mixture, along with all the water, garlic cloves, lime juice, vinegar and salt in your blender. Blend until very smooth.
- Enjoy with almost any dish. This hot sauce is especially great with eggs or tacos. My husband even pours a bunch of it in his soups! The flavour is amazing, and I bet your family will become as addicted to it as ours is.
Pin it for later!
Habanero Carrot Hot Sauce
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 habanero peppers, split and deseeded
- 3 T lime juice, fresh or bottled
- 3 T white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, add carrots, onions and water. Simmer until veggies are tender. Let cool.
- In a blender, add habanero peppers, garlic cloves, lime juice, white vinegar, salt and the cooled carrot/onion combination as well as the cooking water.
- Blend all in blender until very smooth. It will be quite watery. This is normal.
- Enjoy on eggs, tacos or any dish you choose!
- Keeps well in a sealed container in the fridge for weeks.