Have you ever emptied your mayo jar mid-recipe, and wondered, “What am I going to do now?!” Well, never fear! I’m here today to show you how to make mayonnaise by hand. With simple ingredients, and even simpler steps, you’ll be whipping up your own mayonnaise in no time flat.
I am an Amazon affiliate. This means that I may make a small amount on purchases you make through my links. Of course, this is at no extra cost to you.
I use mayonnaise in many day to day recipes, so it feels like I go through it quickly, do you? This recipe takes less than five minutes to whip up, and uses basic ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
This recipe for homemade mayonnaise is based loosely on Julia Child’s recipe in her book, “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”. I added some ingredients that make the mayonnaise a little sweeter, and changed the technique to meet a little more modern standard.
Watch on YouTube!
Ingredients you need to whip up your own mayonnaise!
- Eggs. Everyone has eggs in their fridge, right? If you can get your hands on some farm eggs, that would be awesome. I just used free run eggs from my grocery store. If you are nervous about the risk of salmonella, use fresh eggs from a farmer that you trust. I felt okay using the eggs I got…probably because I don’t know any farmers with chickens here yet.
- Dry mustard. I can get dry mustard at almost any grocery store where I live. If you can’t find dry mustard, just use some prepared mustard. It will work fine in your recipe.
- Lemon juice. Fresh squeezed is super good, but I often use bottled for my recipes.
- Salt. I use himalayan pink salt. It’s got lots of minerals in it, and it’s a cool colour;)
- Oil. Whatever oil you chose, make sure that it has a mellow, light flavour. I used avocado oil. It’s healthier than vegetable oil, and has a nice light flavour to it. You can use olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil or avocado oil. It’s really up to you and what you can find at the grocery store. I did try extra virgin olive oil in one of my batches. It was gross. Don’t try it. 😉
Tools you need to make mayonnaise by hand.
The only tool that you really need is an immersion blender. Mine is at least ten years old, and still works fine! I recommend getting one as a necessary piece of equipment for the kitchen. It’s great to scramble eggs, make cream soups right in the pot, and crepe batter turns out wonderfully using one.
My egg salad recipe using homemade mayonnaise.
This is a quick recipe for egg salad to use on lettuce or sandwiched between to layers of crusty french bread.
- 8 eggs. Boil, peel and smash them with the back of a fork.
- 2 T of homemade mayonnaise.
- 2 t of mustard.
- 1/4 cup of chopped pickles- either dill or sweet.
- 1/2 t of celery salt.
- A few grinds of black pepper.
- Salt to taste.
After smashing your eggs, add the rest of the ingredients, and mix together well. Serve immediately, or put in the fridge for later.
How to make mayonnaise by hand.
This is what you’ll need:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 t of dry mustard, or 1 t of prepared mustard
- 1/8 t of paprika
- 1 t of honey
- 1/2 t of salt
- 1 T lemon juice, either fresh or bottled
- 1 cup of avocado oil. You may use any oil that is mild flavoured in place of avocado oil.
Place all of the ingredients in a wide-mouth jar, starting with the egg, and ending with the oil on top.
Plug in your immersion blender, and, starting at the bottom of the jar, blend, raising and lowering the blender head continually. Work up and down the jar very slowly. The bottom ingredients will quickly thicken, then raise your blender a little at a time to blend the entire jar until all is thickened. This will happen faster than you expect! It is so quick and easy.
And….there you have it! Easy, homemade mayonnaise to use on your next sandwich. Make sure to watch the video and see how simple this recipe really is!
Pin it for later!
- immersion blender
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp dry mustard, or 1 t of prepared mustard
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, either fresh or bottled will do
- 1 cup avocado oil – or any light tasting oil
- Place the egg, mustard, paprika, honey, salt, lemon juice and avocado oil in a wide-mouth jar. Make sure your jar can hold at least 16 oz.
- Starting at the bottom of the jar, blend slowly up and down, bit by bit, until the entire contents of the jar is thickened.
- And you are done! Enjoy your homemade mayonnaise.