So, theses tortillas are the most tender I’ve ever made! They are not only tender, but also extremely flavourful.
I’ve been making these tortillas for my family for years, and they always disappear quickly. My friend Maria gave me her recipe for tortillas maybe 10 years ago. Maria is from Belize, and all her food is delicious!
Because these tortillas stay soft, they can be used the next day. My family likes to eat them as a taco, quesadilla or just plain! They are that good! This morning we will eat them with eggs, bacon and cheese inside. Delicious!
So, the trick to making these tortillas soft, is to use oil on the counter and on the rolling pin when rolling them out. It’s that simple.
The Best Tortilla Recipe:
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of oil ( I used vegetable, but you can use what you prefer)
- enough water to make a very soft dough
Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, oil, and start with 1 cup of water. Use a stand mixer or I just use my hands for this. Add water to the dough, until it feels quite moist. Make sure it’s not dry feeling. Mix with your hands in a bowl or on the counter until all the flour is incorporated. Add more water if necessary.
It will look like this:
Put the dough ball in a bowl, and cover it with a tea towel, or plastic wrap. Let it rest for 1 hour. When 1 hour is up, divide your dough into 8-10 equal size pieces. Because this dough is so moist, you need to add oil to your work surface and rolling pin so it doesn’t stick to the counter or rolling pin.
Heat a cast iron pan to medium heat. When cooking tortillas, you need to start with a hot pan. Otherwise, your tortillas will stick.
When your pan is hot, begin rolling the dough for your first tortilla! Take a piece of dough in your palm, and flatten it to a disk shape. This will aid in keeping your tortilla round when you are rolling it out. Roll your tortilla dough out, this way and that until it is quite thin.
Cook the tortilla in the cast iron pan for a few minutes…checking to make sure it’s not burning. Flip it over, and cook for less time on the other side. Place in a tortilla warmer if you have one, or just a plate with a tea towel to cover will do.
The best tortilla recipe, ever! Easy to make, and even easier to enjoy 😉
p.s. Store in a plastic bag to make sure they stay moist.
The Best Tortillas
- cook top
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or any oil you love
- 1-2 cups water
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, oil and enough water to give you a very moist dough. It should hold together, but be quite sticky.
- Let rest in a bowl covered with tea towel for 1 hour.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. When it is hot, you are ready to start cooking!
- Divide your dough into 10 equal portions. Oil your work surface and your rolling pin.
- Form the dough into a disk shape in your hand, and roll out quite thin with a rolling pin.
- Cook your tortilla for a couple of minutes on one side – checking often. Flip it over with spatula, and cook the other side. The second side will not take as long. Enjoy!
Want to sign up for a FREE ebook, “5 of my Best Recipes”?
Find out more about Lucie and Mathilda here.