This banana bread recipe is totally the bomb! With the added lemon zest, the banana taste comes out fantastically. For those of you who love a just-ripe banana, you will be SO happy!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
Banana bread often portrays itself as being a bit of a wallflower. We only make it when we have too many ripe bananas in the freezer, and need the space for something more exciting. Like ice cream…. or steak! A steak would taste good right now, wouldn’t it?
I’ve always wanted to find a banana bread that surpassed the mediocre, you know? A bread that tasted really banana-y. A recipe that wouldn’t taste too heady, but light and fresh and just-ripened banana kind of sweet.
Well, I’ve found it! This recipe is the ultimate in my opinion. If I could choose one word to describe this banana bread recipe, it would be “fresh”. Try it out to see for yourself!
Lemon Banana Bread
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 bananas
- ½ cup buttermilk I just use the juice from half a lemon, and then fill the half cup measure with milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, and lemon zest.
- Add buttermilk, or juice the lemon and pour half of the juice in a ½ cup measure. Fill the rest of the half cup with milk – this is a great substitute.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients along with chopped nuts, if so desired.
- Grease two bread pans very well, and pour batter equally into the pans.
- Place in heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, and turn out on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy with butter!
Shop this post!
Pin for later!
Want my FREE ebook, “5 of my Best Recipes”?