You need to go to your kitchen right now and make this. Seriously. Spicy jalapeno cornbread is where it’s at today.
My husband loves some heat in his meal, and this cornbread does not disappoint. Slather on some butter, and if you want to get crazy, cut your piece in half and drizzle maple syrup all over it! Yes, I said maple syrup. It’s delicious.
If you’ve been reading my blog for a bit, you might remember that I’ve already posted a cornbread recipe. And I have, but this recipe is a little different. I felt you needed to know that cornbread could reach a new level.
Coming from the South, jalapenos have a special place in my heart. (Sometime I’ll tell you a little story about my first experience with jalapenos.;)) My roots in the North have me loving maple syrup. I think they get along just fine. Yup. They do.
This little reel off the original recipe was actually born out of necessity. I didn’t have enough sour cream to fill two cups. So….milk came to the rescue. After all, I was just whipping up a quick supper of chicken soup and cornbread for my family. What could go wrong?
Nothing went wrong this time. Haha. In fact the cornbread turned out great! With the added heat of the pickled jalapenos, this recipe turned out to be a hit. In fact, I’ll be making it in its modified form again and again.
Everyone in my family loves cornbread. I find it is a great way to add something freshly made to a meal of leftovers, or just to eat with a side of scrambled eggs and some fruit. How does your family enjoy cornbread?
Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup chopped, pickled jalapenos, or to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. with 12" skillet heating in the oven.
- Combine cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and jalapenos in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and ingredients and mix well.
- Take pan out of oven and add butter. Let the butter melt, swirling it around the pan.
- Add batter to pan and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.