Tabouleh is spelled so many ways, I couldn’t make up my mind which spelling to use! You’re going to love making this tabouleh salad in the coming summer months!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
Middle Eastern in origin, tabouleh salad was something new to me, until I met my friend Lupe. Now, she makes the best tabouleh! In fact, Lupe has a reputation for making many dishes deliciously. I will attempt to make you her tabouleh as best I can.
The single item that you need to find for this recipe is bulgur wheat. It is a cracked wheat that has been parboiled, so it does not need to be cooked. This aids in a quick salad making process, although it does need refrigeration after it’s made. Don’t skip the refrigeration, as this time in the fridge gives the flavours time to blend, and the lemon juice a chance to wilt and ‘quick pickle’ the veggies. Yum.
Healthy, flavourful and zesty, tabouleh salad is a go-to recipe for adding to a lovely meal of roast chicken and homemade french bread. Delectable goodness!
The dressing is a combination of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and TADA! Cayenne pepper! I use 1/4 tsp in my recipe, but feel free to spice it up a bit. The salad itself is part bulgur wheat and part combination of cucumber, tomatoes, green onions and parsley. There is a tonne of parsley in this salad, but don’t worry if you hate parsley. My husband doesn’t care for parsley, but loves tabouleh!
One other thing to remember when you’re making this concoction is to chop all the veggies up quite small. I believe it is meant to look more attractive on the plate with veggie pieces small. So there you have it! Tabouleh salad! Here’s the full recipe with all the details below.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cucumber chopped finely
- 1 tomato chopped finely
- 1 bunch green onions chopped finely
- 1 large bunch parsley chopped finely
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- Place the bulgur wheat in a glass bowl and fill with water, draining and rinsing several times.
- Cover bulgur with boiling water and let sit for 30 minutes.
- While bulgur is 'cooking', chop up the cucumber, tomato, green onions, and parsley finely.
- Place all veggies in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, crushed garlic and cayenne pepper.
- Combine well and set aside.
- When the bulgur is ready, use a fine colander to squeeze out the excess water and add the bulgur to the large bowl of vegetables.
- Combine veggies and bulgur well.
- Add dressing and combine again.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Enjoy!
*Shop this post:
Pin it for Later!
Want my FREE ebook, “5 of my Best Recipes”?