Aaahhh….zucchini. Many of us have a love/hate relationship with this vegetable. We plant zucchini every year, and then try and give most of it away. But. Here is a reason to keep at least one! The best zucchini cake ever!
My mom is a fantastic baker and cook. This recipe for zucchini cake came from her, and so you know it’s going to be excellent. Moist, fragrant with spices, and pebbled with chopped walnuts, you will want to hang on to this one!
There really are many recipes that call for zucchini, so I thought I’d jump in and make this week a ‘zucchini week’. So, this is the first of two recipes that I’ll be offering. Both recipes happen to be from my mom. Surprise, surprise!
You know, when you eat a cake that has zucchini in it, it really reduces the calories, due to the veggie content. Just kidding, but we can trick ourselves into believing this, and go ahead to make this wonderful, best zucchini cake!
Not only is this a delicious recipe, it also goes well with a cup of tea or coffee. And the icing…..let me tell you about the icing. It’s topped with a lovely swirl of sour cream icing. Yes, you read that right. Sour cream icing. This icing tastes a little like cream cheese icing, but not as rich. I love it! Cream cheese icing can be a bit too rich for me, so this option is right up my alley.
A simple, easy recipe that you can whip up in the afternoon for dessert after supper, and save the leftovers for a treat the next afternoon. Perfectly lovely and uses up those crazy zucchinis that are taking over your garden, right?
The best zucchini cake takes 2 cups of shredded zucchini per 9X13 pan. You probably already know this, but in case you don’t, you can go ahead and freeze shredded zucchini in 2 cup bags for this winter when you’re craving a little something sweet to have with your tea.
The Best Zucchini Cake
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Sour Cream Icing
- 2½ cups icing sugar/confectioner's sugar
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine flour, soda, salt and spices.
- In another bowl combine butter and sugar. When creamed, add eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Add zucchini to butter mixture.
- Add chopped walnuts to the flour mixture and combine all ingredients together with a hand mixer, or with a wooden spoon, stirring well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 9X13 pan.
- Place in the heated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Mine took 25 minutes.
- Check cake with a toothpick, and when the toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- For the icing, add icing sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla and salt, and stir well until it becomes a smooth icing. Spread evenly on cake and for the tastiest snack – refrigerate.
Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family did…we’re on our second one this week!
Pin it for Later!
Want my FREE ebook, “5 of my Best Recipes”?